Syllabus

Important Dates

August 25: First day of Fall 2021 classes
August 31: Last day to add a course
December 13: Last day to withdraw from a course with a “W” grade
December 14: Reading Day
December 15: Final Examinations Begin
December 21: Final Examinations End / End of Fall Semester

Here is the link to the full Fall 2021 academic calendar

• We will meet on Tuesdays from 11:00 AM – 12:15 PM.
  • You are required to attend, and I will be taking attendance.
  • You get a grade for attendance and participation (see the rubric below). I will usually come to class 15 minutes early. Feel free to join me if you have questions or want to say hello.
  • The remainder of the work is all asynchronous (you complete it on your own schedule). You will need to go online several times a week to see announcements or do the readings or submit to the Discussion Board. Plan for this.
  • You are expected to successfully navigate the various components of the HNSC 2183 OER course website and Blackboard, including the Discussion Boards, assignments, and exams, by dedicating an adequate amount of time (well in advance of any deadlines) to exploring the site.
  • This course is a zero cost/open educational resources course.  There is no textbook to purchase. All materials are available freely to students course website HNSC 2183 course website (where you are now) under Course Topics.
  • You are required to read ALL readings. Some of the readings are from academic and professional journals and some are from selected other sources (newspapers and online sites).
  • Although the total number may appear daunting at first, some of the readings may be just 1-2 pages. You will not do well in the class without completing the assigned readings.

The way we create, seek, process, and share information about health, medicine, and the health care system. Intrapersonal, interpersonal, group, organizational, and societal communication. The multidisciplinary nature of health communication. Literature from communication studies and the social sciences. This course is the same as CASD 4666.

Health communication is the way we create, seek, process, and share information about health, medicine, and the health care system. In this course, the different levels of health communication will be examined including intrapersonal, interpersonal, group, organizational and societal communication. To fully explore the multidisciplinary nature of health communication, we will draw on sources from the social sciences, communication studies, and professional medical literature.

Name: Michele G. Greene, DrPH
Email: MGGreene@brooklyn.cuny.edu
Office Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:30-2pm (via phone, Prof will give out number).
Note: On some Tuesdays and Thursdays I may have meetings and may not be available. We can arrange other times to meet. Other times by appointment. Please email me.
Additional NOTE: When emailing put “HNSC 2183” and your full name in the subject field.

Students will:

1. develop an understanding of the significance of communication processes in health care contexts.
  2. employ theoretical frameworks from different disciplines to understand the nature of health communication.
  3. analyze and critique health communication processes at the intrapersonal, interpersonal, group, organization, and societal levels.
  4. develop critical and analytic skills necessary for assessing health information and messages.
  5. examine current issues and research in health communication.
  6. identify effective health communication skills.

To meet these objectives, students are expected to:

• log onto the course BB site several times a week to read announcements, retrieve and view course materials, and participate in the DBs
  • complete all the readings that are assigned each week
  • review the slides for each topic
  • attend and be prepared for the synchronous classes (see the course schedule)
  • complete all assignments and DBs on time
  • participate fully in the group project
  • submit the group project on time
  • take and pass the midterms and final exams

Each course topic covered will be broken up into asynchronous and synchronous learning, along with assignments (all due online on Blackboard).

Where’s all the stuff I need for this class!?

• WordPress Course Site. All course materials are found here on this HNSC 2183 Health Communication (URL: https://hnsc2183greene.commons.gc.cuny.edu/), including an online version of the syllabus, and links to readings and videos. Some readings require you to login from off-campus to authenticate you are a Brooklyn College member. They are marked with a Off-campus login required.. Please take some time to get familiar with the site early in the class and let me know if there are any issues.
  • Blackboard. We will be using Blackboard for the discussion board, submission of written assignments and grade posting. If your group would like to use it to communicate or collaborate please let me know and I can help you do that.
  • Zoom. All synchronous on classes will use Zoom. I will record some classes, as necessary, and will make links to the recordings available. Please be aware that classes may be recorded as we move through the class.

Submission and assessment of your work

All work is to be completed by the date and time specified AND must be submitted to the appropriate place on BB. No extensions will be given, and no late assignments are accepted. Students may not submit revised assignments for a better grade.

Except for group work, all other submissions must be prepared solely by the student.

If I advise you that you should get assistance with your writing (many BC students need to work on their writing skills), you must follow-up on this by getting assistance, either through the BC Learning Center or a Writing Tutor, who we may have available through the Department of Health and Nutrition Sciences. You can contact the Learning Center by calling 718-951-5821 or by going to the Learning Center website at http://lc.brooklyn.cuny.edu. If we do get a Writing Tutor for the department, I will let you know. You can also ask a trusted family member or friend to review your work for clarity of expression, grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

Do not wait until you get a bad grade to get started on this work. Please get assistance as early in the semester as possible.

If you are citing a source, either from a book, a journal article or the internet for the Discussion Board or the paper, you need to use the APA formatting style. For more guidance on how to cite sources, please go to Purdue OWL tutorial on APA style, Purdue OWL Intro on APA style or the Brooklyn College Library guide on citations.

Do not overuse direct quotes. Include direct quotes when the content is best illustrated through the quote. The paper should not be a series of direct quotes.

Formatting Written Work:

• ONLY MS Word documents accepted, NO pdf, notepad or other file format. (The MS Office program suite is available as a free download for PC and Mac from CUNY. Check with ITS)
  • File name: First Name_Last Name_HNSC 2183 Assignment Title_Fall 2021
  • Document must also include class name, your name, date, a title and page numbers 
  • Use double-spaced text (no triple/quadruple spaces between paragraphs) 
  • Use standard 12-point Times New Roman font and 1-inch margins

Communication with Professor:

There are 3 main ways to contact me: Go to the Ask Prof. Greene DB, email me, or connect with me on the phone during office hours.

• If you have general questions about the content of the class, please pose your questions in the Ask Prof. Greene DB. In this way, other students can view my response. I will check this DB frequently.
  • For concerns of a more personal nature, the best way to contact me is through email, which I check every day. If we cannot resolve a question or concern through email, we can arrange to talk on the phone during office hours. If my office hours are not convenient for you, email and let me know what days and times work for you. I will make every effort to accommodate you.
    • When you email me, you can usually expect a response within two business days, sometimes sooner.
    • Do not expect an immediate response.
    • Do not expect me to participate in an endless email thread.
    • I do not provide grade justifications through email.
    • Keep in mind that I get many emails a day and I want to prioritize emails from students. So ALWAYS put “HNSC 2183/CASD 4666 [Your name]” in the subject line so that I know who the message is from and what it is regarding.
  • You are expected to conduct yourself in a professional manner in all interpersonal interactions, including in email. Email is a formal means of communication in the context of school or work; please sign every message at the bottom with your name, use polite language, capital letters, punctuation, greetings, and salutations. Avoid abbreviations and slang.
  • Make sure that the email address associated with your Blackboard account is one that you check regularly.

• 8 Discussion Board (DB) posts. (15%)
    • Each original post is worth 3 points.
    • See the grading rubric below.
    • I will be grading 5 posts total for each student.
  • 8 DB responses. (5%)
    • Each week you are expected to comment on at least one other student’s DB post.
    • Each response is worth 1 point.
    • I will be grading 5 responses total for each student.
  • Group Project (30%)
  • Midterm Exam (20%)
  • Final Exam (20%)
  • Attendance and Participation (10%)
  • Total (100%)
  • Extra Credit (5%)

A few more important details about the grading:

• I do not give INC grades.
  • Students may not submit revised papers for a better grade.
  • I do not give additional extra credit assignments for students who are dissatisfied with their grade at the end of the semester.
  • Grammar, punctuation, spelling, and clarity of expression always count in the calculation of your grade.
  • Grades will not be conveyed by telephone or e-mail (only Blackboard).

Your grades will be posted on Blackboard under the “My Grades” area of BB.

9 Database posts:

• Component: You must post each week that there are DB questions. I will be grading a total of 5 posts for each student.
  • % of grade: 15%
  • What is it?: Most weeks there will be several questions that you are required to respond to. The questions will be based on the week’s readings, slides, and students’ experiences with the topic. Approximately 150 words for each post
  • Where it is?: Each week’s DB questions will be posted on the DB for that week. There is a tab on the left side of the course homepage, DB instructions, where further instructions about the DB posts are available.
  • What else should I know?: If questions have multiple parts, make sure to answer each part. Formal college-level writing is expected. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling count toward the grade. Clarity of expression counts. There is a grading rubric for the DB. NO LATE POSTS are accepted. It is recommended that you prepare your post first in Word and then cut and paste to the DB. Although you will post each week that is required, I will be grading a total of 5 posts for each student. Each post is worth 3 points.

9 Database responses:

• Component: For each of the weeks in which there is a DB post, students will be required to respond to at least one other student’s comments. 75 words minimum for each response
  • % of grade: 5%
  • What is it?: Most weeks there will be several questions that you are required to respond to. The questions will be based on the week’s readings, slides, and students’ experiences with the topic. Approximately 150 words for each post.
  • Where it is?: Read your classmates’ posts in the DB for the week and click REPLY to respond.
  • What else should I know?: Comments may include agreements and disagreements with the other student’s post. Always be considerate and respectful. You must comment on what the other student posted, not a general comment about the topic. Formal college-level writing is expected. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling count toward the grade. Clarity of wording counts. NO LATE POSTS are accepted. Although you will respond each week that is required, I will be grading 5 responses for each student. Each response is worth 1 point.

Group Project Paper:

• Component: Paper, Group Project Check-in #1, #2 and #3.
  • % of grade: 20%
  • What is it? You will be assigned a group with 4-5 other students in the class to develop a public health campaign on a current topic in public health. You are expected to work together with everyone participating equally. The Group Project Check-ins provide information about the progress of the group projects. Specific questions will need to be answered. If the check-ups are not completed, points will be deducted from the paper.
  • Where it is?: The full instructions for the group project, check-ins, and presentation are available in the Assignments tab on the left side of the course homepage
  • What else should I know? The paper is expected to be about 8-10 pages and you are to answer all the questions that are raised. Plagiarism will result in an automatic grade of 0 on the paper. There are NO EXCUSES for plagiarism. Formal college-level writing is expected. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling count toward the grade. Clarity of wording counts. NO LATE submissions are accepted.

Group Project Paper Presentations:

• Component: Presentation
  • % of grade: 10%
  • What is it? Scheduled for the last 2 synchronous classes. Each group will present a Powerpoint of their health campaign project.

Exams

• Component: Midterm exam and Final exam
  • % of grade: 20% each, 40% total
  • What is it? The tests are composed of multiple-choice and true/false questions. You must complete the exam on your own.
  • Where is it?: There is a separate tab on the left side of the course homepage where the exams may be accessed.
  • What else should I know? If you need special accommodations for the tests, please provide the documentation from the Center for Student Disability Services. Submit the documentation as early in the term as possible.

Attendance and Participation

• Component: Attendance and Participation
  • % of grade: 10%
  • What is it? In-person attendance is required at every synchronous class and attendance is taken each week. Participation in class discussions is noted.
  • Where is it?: The synchronous class through Zoom.
  • What else should I know? The rubric for attendance and participation is found below.

Extra Credit

• Component: Extra credit
  • % of grade: 5% maximum
  • What is it? Extra credit may be earned by completing the assignment.
  • Where is it? There is a separate tab on the left side of the course homepage where information about the extra credit assignment may be accessed
  • What else should I know?: Plagiarism will result in an automatic grade of 0 on the paper. There are NO EXCUSES for plagiarism. Formal college-level writing is expected. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling count toward the grade. Clarity of wording counts. The grading rubric is provided below. NO LATE submissions are accepted.

Attendance and Participation Grading Rubric

0-1 absences:

• Excellent level of participation: 10
  • Good level of participation: 9
  • Fair level of participation: 8
  • Poor level of participation: 7

2-3 absences:

• Excellent level of participation: 8
  • Good level of participation: 7
  • Fair level of participation: 6
  • Poor level of participation: 5

3-4 absences:

• Excellent level of participation: 6
  • Good level of participation: 5
  • Fair level of participation: 4
  • Poor level of participation: 3

≥ 5 absences:

• Excellent level of participation: 4
  • Good level of participation: 3
  • Fair level of participation: 2
  • Poor level of participation: 1

• The faculty and administration of Brooklyn College support an environment free from cheating and plagiarism.
  • Each student is responsible for being aware of what constitutes cheating and plagiarism and for avoiding both.
  • View complete text of CUNY Academic Integrity Policy and Brooklyn College procedure for policy implementation.external link.
  • If a faculty member suspects a violation of academic integrity and, upon investigation, confirms that violation, or if the student admits the violation, the faculty member MUST report the violation. Students should be aware that faculty may use plagiarism detection software.
  • Please read the section entitled “Academic Regulations and Procedures” in the Brooklyn College Undergraduate Bulletin or Graduate Bulletin for a complete listing of academic regulations of the College.

The Center for Student Disability Services is working remotely at this time. Please email them at testingcsds@brooklyn.cuny.edu for assistance. Students should inform the professor if they have a disability or any other situation that may require Section 504/ADA accommodations. The faculty and staff will attempt to work out whatever arrangements are necessary. Please provide me with your course accommodation form and discuss your specific accommodation with me as soon as possible to ensure accommodations are met in a timely fashion.

In order to receive academic accommodations students must first be registered with the Center for Student Disability Services. Students who have a documented disability or who suspect that they might have a disability are invited to set up an appointment with the Director of the Center for Student Disability Services, Ms. Valerie Stewart-Lovell or the Assistant Director, Josephine Patterson or their general email testingcsds@brooklyn.cuny.edu

• Students who experience the death of a loved one must contact the Division of Student Affairsexternal link. 2113 Boylan Hall, if they wish to implement either the Standard Bereavement Procedure or the Leave of Absence Bereavement Procedure. The Division of Student Affairs has the right to request a document that verifies the death (e.g., a funeral program or death notice).
  • Typically, this death involves that of a family member, in parallel to the bereavement policy for faculty and staff. However, it is up to the discretion of the Division of Student Affairs to determine if a death outside of the immediate family warrants implementation of the student bereavement policy.
  • As an option, and in consultation with the Division of Student Affairs, students may take the Leave of Absence Bereavement after the Standard Bereavement.
  • Reference to the Student Bereavement Policies will be noted on course syllabi.
  • Students requesting a religious accommodation should contact the Division of Student Affairs as well. The chief student affairs officer, or a designee, and the student will engage in an interactive process with the goal of finding an acceptable accommodation.

Standard Bereavement Procedure:

• Upon approval from the Division of Student Affairs, the student is allowed one week, commencing from the day of notification to the Division of Student Affairs, of excused absence.
  • Should the student feel that he/she needs additional days, these should be discussed with individual course instructors and/or the Division of Student Affairs.
  • The Division of Student Affairs will contact the student’s faculty and academic staff of the student’s courses.
  • Faculty and academic staff will be advised that extensions must be granted to the student for the period of one week of excused absence.
  • Further extensions may be negotiated with the student when he or she returns to campus.
  • Students are encouraged to discuss options with their instructors.

Leave of Absence Bereavement Procedure:

• Students may be allowed to withdraw from the semester in which the death occurs.
  • The Bereavement Leave of Absence is for one semester only.
  • Students who have opted to take the Bereavement Leave of Absence and have already attended classes for the semester of the leave will be allowed to re-enter the following semester without having to reapply to the college.
  • Students who wish to take the leave of absence prior to the beginning of the semester will be required to reapply for the following semester.
  • Students who are in good academic standing will be given the opportunity to successfully complete the credits for the semester in which they return.
  • Students will consult with the Division of Student Affairs, on a case-by-case basis, as to whether they should withdraw from their courses during this leave of absence or to request incompletes from the faculty member.
  • Given that there may be a potential impact on financial aid, students who receive financial aid and who take the Bereavement Leave of Absence, upon arrangement with the Division of Student Affairs, will meet with a financial aid adviser prior to taking this option.

• New York State Education Law (Title I, Article 5,Section 224-a) requires that we “make available to each student who is absent from school, because of [their] religious beliefs, an equivalent opportunity to make up any examination, study or work requirements which [they] may have missed because of such absence on any particular day or days.” If you have to miss class or an assignment due to your religious beliefs or observations, please communicate with the professor so we can plan.
  • The New York State Education Law provides that no student shall be expelled or refused admission to an institution of higher education because he or she is unable to attend classes or participate in examinations or study or work requirements on any particular day or days because of religious beliefs.
  • Students who are unable to attend classes on a particular day or days because of religious beliefs will be excused from any examination or study or work requirements.
  • Faculty must make good-faith efforts to provide students absent from class because of religious beliefs equivalent opportunities to make up the work missed; no additional fees may be charged for this consideration.
  • If classes, examinations, or study or work requirements occur on Friday after 4 p.m. or on Saturday, similar or makeup classes, examinations, or study or work requirements will be made available on other days, where possible and practical.
  • The faculty and the administration will not allow any adverse or prejudicial effects to accrue to students availing themselves of this regulation.
  • If students have complaints about the application of this policy, they are entitled to bring action or a proceeding for enforcement of their rights in the Supreme Court of Kings County.

Go To Topics